
This week is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. Sponsored by NEDA it is a week focused on the preventing eating disorders and advocating for treatment. Eating Disorders are devastating diseases, the effects of which I have felt first hand. If your life has not been touched by an eating disorder in one way or another, then consider yourself lucky. They effect sooo many, especially young women. I am one of the women. My story is a story of triumph and hope. I can proudly say that I am survivor. I struggled in high school with an eating disorder. This dark period of my life is hard to describe in words. During this period I was plagued with depression and self-hatred. I don't think that I will ever fully understand all the factors that played into the development of my eating disorder. The downward spiral was very quick and the damage was great. The pain was not limited to me, but effect all of my friends and family. But it was because of my friends, family and faith that I was able to recover....and I am eternally grateful for their love and support through this trial. I cannot imagine who I would be if I hadn't faced this adversity, but I would do anything to prevent others from this suffering. This week my prayers go out to anyone who is suffering from an eating disorder and to their friends and family. The National Eating Disorder Association has lots of resources if you are looking for information.
No comments:
Post a Comment