Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday's Training Tip


I have decided to post a health/fitness tip once a week. I am a AFAA certified personal trainer and hold a BS Degree in Health and Human Performance, but this is in no way a substitute for a Doctor's supervision. I am not an "expert", I just would like to pass on little bits of information that I have picked up along the way.


Training Tip: Hit the Weights!

A lot times when I sit down with a female client to discuss goals they are hesitant to lift weights because they are afraid that they will "bulk" up....ladies, do not worry about this. It is very difficult for the majority of women to bulk. (due to testosterone levels). It is very important that weight training is a part of your exercise routine. Here are some reasons why:


  • Muscle is metabolically active...it continues to burn calories through out the day. According to research a pound of muscle burns approx. 6 calories a day. This doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up.

  • Strength training helps you to shape and change the look of your body composition. Cardio just burns calories, and you do not get to choose where they come from.

  • Weight training strengthens your bones and connective tissue...helping to prevent osteoporosis.

So pick up a set of dumbbells and mix some weight training into your routine!!

No comments: